Who Is Entitled to Legal Aid Western Australia

Some of our services are accessible to everyone. Our legal advice and representation are often in high demand, and we prioritize those who need our help most. Legal information can help you find the best solution to your legal problem. Visit our self-help legal information page for a list of websites where you can find simple legal information. There are nearly 200 Community Legal Centres (CLCs) in Australia that provide legal aid to those who cannot afford a private lawyer, but also cannot get legal aid. If you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, you can also get legal advice from the Aboriginal Legal Service of Western Australia. Call 1800 019 900 or visit an ALSWA office. The department is headquartered in Perth and has regional offices throughout Washington State. We do not deal with all types of legal issues and some services are only available to vulnerable or disadvantaged groups in the community. If we can`t help you, we`ll suggest other places to ask for help. There are eight Mutual Legal Assistance Commissions in Australia, one in each state and territory.

The aim of the legal aid commissions is to provide access to justice for vulnerable and disadvantaged Australians. The National Redress Scheme for people who have been victims of child sexual abuse in institutions began on 1 July 2018. The program offers free access to independent legal advice through the “Knowmore” legal service. Our democratic society is therefore based on the premise that all Australians are equal before the law, a premise that must be understood in relation to the issue of access. Legal aid boards play a crucial role in achieving equality before the law by ensuring that all citizens, including those who cannot afford to pay, have access to the legal services they need to obtain justice. Due to limited funding, not everyone can get a grant for a lawyer. Subsidies are limited to family, criminal or civil matters. With respect to family law, your legal problem should relate to one of the following issues to be eligible: The NLA website contains data on the performance of financial and other forms of legal aid, as well as the NLA`s strategic plan, submissions for government inquiries, and a set of best practice standards for legal aid. The Law Society maintains a register of private law firms and their areas of expertise, which you can access through the Find a Lawyer service, to help you identify law firms that may be able to help you for a fee. When evaluating a grant application, Legal Aid WA will determine if you are financially eligible for a grant or if you can afford to hire your own lawyer.

They will take into account the legal services you need, the length of the business and the income (called “income replacement”) you could save during that time. Legal aid in Australia is legal aid from the government. Each State and Territory has its own Legal Aid Commission, which is responsible for administering legal aid. There are legal aid offices in cities, suburbs and towns across Australia. Commissions provide access to justice by offering the following types of legal aid: For more information, please contact Legal Aid on 1300 650 579 or visit their website www.legalaid.wa.gov.au or contact our team here at Joss Legal. We are proud to be members of Legal Aid Western Australia`s expert panels. Legal Aid WA provides the community with free or low-cost legal services, ranging from ad hoc advice on a legal matter to ongoing representation. Family Court staff can answer your questions about court proceedings, but they cannot offer legal advice.

The Western Australian Legal Practice Council is legally responsible for the licensing, supervision and discipline (through the Legal Profession Complaints Committee) of all lawyers in Western Australia. To find out if a practitioner currently holds an articling certificate, check with the Legal Practice Council. The Law Society has also prepared this fact sheet on the illegal practice of legal work. The Citizens Advice Bureau is a community-based organisation with offices across Western Australia. Each branch offers a range of services to the public, including legal and non-legal information and recommendations, including a family mediation program. Street Law is a free legal service for homeless and homeless people in Western Australia. To pass the examination on the merits, legal aid must be satisfied that it is appropriate for it to provide you with legal assistance. You will consider the likelihood and likelihood of success, whether there are other non-legal solutions that could be used to solve the problem, and whether this is an appropriate use of Legal Aid`s limited resources to provide you with funds. In many situations, you may not need a lawyer.

Often we can help you with a legal problem by giving you legal advice and minor help. If you go to court, you may be able to get help from duty counsel. Call 1800 050 321 and let them know you are seeking legal advice (also let them know if your request is urgent). The counselling hotline staff will arrange an appointment to contact a lawyer. Or you can contact the legal centres directly from a detailed list of community law centres in Western Australia (in PDF format) which includes information on the locations and services offered by each legal centre. W: www.fedcourt.gov.au/going-to-court/i-am-a-party/help-with-legal-problem/court-referral-assistance Legal Aid offers a range of free legal services available to all members of the community. This includes legal advice and mediation services and, in some cases, minor assistance (e.g. telephone advice). In many cases, legal aid also provides mandatory legal aid before some courts.

Priority is often given to helping those with the greatest needs. We try to help as many people as possible, but we don`t advise on every legal issue. If we can`t help you with your specific problem, we`ll try to refer you to someone who can. If your relationship is relatively friendly and both parties are willing to communicate online, you may be able to negotiate directly with your former partner using the new amica tool at www.amica.gov.au. The site helps separated couples make parenting and financial arrangements and provides a pathway to a range of legal education and information opportunities on family law issues, including your rights, duties and options. The Family Relations Advice Line can help you by providing free legal advice and information about services available to you in family relationships, including information about family law procedures. If your case is complex or has special requirements, Legal Aid WA may provide a grant to a lawyer to manage the ongoing work related to your legal problem.